Sunday, October 19, 2014

Day 19 - This Might Freak You Out

Thanks to Beth Hess for giving me this verse to freak on.  Check out her blog at justbebeth.wordpress.com
Day 19 – This Might Freak You Out
I don’t want to freak you out, but this is what the first day of freaking looks like.
Hebrews 4: 16
Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

How does one find confidence in the time of need?  Isn’t that an oxymoron?
Approach with prayer? just with confidence? Should you bring up your need? are you pretending to be confident?  are you being confident by faith?  can’t God discern that you aren’t confident? (hello)  Where do you get this confidence if you don’t have it?  Does God just like the gesture?
Why would God ask for us to be confident?  What are we being confident about our need, God, mercy and grace? 
What if you don’t believe you should receive mercy and grace?
Then …What happens if you can’t receive the mercy and grace at the throne?
What if you can’t muster up the confidence?
Isn’t confidence not humble?  Doesn’t God reject a haughty heart?  Can you be confident and not haughty?
Are we to think of being like in front of an actual throne?  Do we bow down?  Should we visualize?  Should we just receive the mercy and grace and go on about our business? What about the need?
Is this a commandment?  Suggestion?
So do these 2 things – approaching God’s throne of grace with confidence correlate with receiving mercy and grace?  If I don’t come with confidence then there is no correlation?
Should it be obvious that if you come in a certain way you will receive it?  How will you know?  Is the feeling obvious?  Does it make you want to give out mercy and grace? 
Can you pick out of a crowd the people who practice this because they have an abundant supply of it? (mercy and grace)
Can I see myself as a little child confidently approaching, skipping to the throne with my need and skipping away, laughing and giggling with mercy and grace?
Or do I see myself as a sin filled woman approaching with my head hung, wondering if I would even be granted mercy and grace?  Is that how I want people to approach me?
Is my life a throne of mercy and grace to others?
Do people feel they can approach me with confidence to receive mercy and grace as the extended hand of God?
Aren’t there some situations where one (God and I) would refuse mercy and grace?  Aren’t there are levels of sin?
What would I really get out of doing this?  Why would God ask us to do this? What is God getting out of this?
Is it a fact that this will work or does may change everything?
Can you confidently walk around receiving mercy and grace if you are confident even in time of need?  cab this become a lifestyle? Could this  happen all the time automatically if you were mindful of this verse?
Why the us?
Approach seems slow – opposite of run. Should we come slowly?
Are there other thrones?  Throne of information?   
Why are we there?  Just to receive mercy and grace?  What about direction? What about forgiveness?  What about kindness?  Are they all wrapped up in mercy and grace or is this a special time when what we need is mercy and grace?
Does the need have to be only for mercy and grace?  What if the need is healing?  Financial?  Relationship? 
How will mercy and grace help me in a time where I want to give up?  when my loved ones have abandoned me ?  when I feel like I can’t do another thing for another person?
What if you don’t want help?  You don’t need any help, just love?  Just a listening hear?
Our time – isn’t our time of need always?  Why does he say our?

Is this a time of approaching the throne different than with thanksgiving and praise?  Do these scriptures work together – like if you come just with the need but not with the thanksgiving and praise will you be received?

31 Day Challenge Starts Here

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this scripture from Hebrews - and "freakin' out" on it - or with it! I really enjoyed reading this and look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite verses. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete